Wednesday, September 12, 2007

HW: 5b Applying Graff Chapter 2 to "I Blog, Therefore I Am"

While reading David Kline’s “I Blog Therefore I Am” I came across many different paragraphs that I did not agree with. The one that really made me puzzled was at the bottom of page 239. In this section Kline talks about how the many people are resorting to using the internet and the internet only to find out news that is happening today. He says that it is mostly teens who use the internet daily and the internet tends to “take time away from other media”. By this Kline is trying to say that people no longer watch TV or read a newspaper or magazine. Instead they only go on the internet. He also stated that eventually in years to come Google and Yahoo will become major rivals with one of the major TV companies because people will not be as interested in TV as they will internet. I personally do not agree with this paragraph and what Kline is saying. I think that yes, a lot of people do use the internet very often but there are a lot of people who not only don’t have the luxury of having a computer to be able to see what’s going on the internet so they have to watch TV, listen to the radio, or read articles. I also think that even the people that do find out a lot of their news from the internet also like to see other versions of the news they heard. They would maybe want to read a different article to compare, or even watch a report of it live on the news so you can understand better coming from a person. In the end I just think that people still do rely on other types of technology and not just the internet.