Monday, October 29, 2007

HW: 21 Responding to Virginia Woolf

Dear Patrick,
I hear that you are reading Virginia Woolf a Room of One’s Own in your English class. I think that this is a very difficult book to read. I read it too and I remember that in this chapter Woolf is asked to speak at some sort of meeting and says that her topic is on women and fiction. She states that “a woman must have money and a room of her own if she’s going to write fiction”. In this chapter she also describes the college life , campus, and meals and surroundings by campus. There is also a war going on at the time. People also discuss the founding of women’s colleges which need financial and political support compared to men’s colleges which have always been easily supported for a very long time. It also discusses why women have always been so poor. The whole chapter was mostly held at a luncheon. I don’t know why you would be reading this book at such a young age, but I wish you luck and if you need any more help just let me know.

Love Hayley

No comments: